Let's imagine that your car has been sitting in the supermarket car park
in full sunshine for a couple of hours and is too hot to touch. A reasonable
result can be achieved by following this.
1. Open all the doors whilst you load up the car to allow some of the
hot air to slide out.
2. Once in the car, start the engine, run the windows down, set the blowers
to maximum, turn the AC on (ensure the Econ or EC button is OFF), any
temperature controls to the lowest temperature setting, fresh air (not
recirc) and air directed through the Face Level Vents.
3. The cold air from the Face Level Vents is denser than the hot air so
will settle in the lower parts of the car and force the hot air upwards
and out of the open windows, so after a minute or two shut the windows
and turn the Recirculation control ON (simply marked as Max on some models).
4. Keep the settings this way until the fabric of the inside of the car
has cooled down and then either reduce the blower speed or turn the Recirc
control to Fresh Air whichever you choose to do, or perhaps both.
5. Once the inside of the car is really cool, turn the blowers speed down
a little further to suit your comfort and perhaps turn the Face Level
Vents upwards to direct the cool air over your head to the rear of the
to use the AC to demist the car the technique is quite different.
1. If the car is already misted up then simply turn on the AC, air directed
to screen, blowers to highest speed, fresh air selected and the heat turned
to maximum. Many cars simply have a demist button that does all this for
you, but try it out as some are only a heated screen, use of the AC will
be far quicker - it is almost like magic.
2. If the weather is warm but the car has badly misted up, use the AC
directed to the screen and if this doesn't clear it within a few seconds
put the heat on as well, until it is safe to back the heater off and reduce
the blower speed. Continue to use the AC in Fresh Air mode (Recirc OFF)
for best demisting.
to Contents Page
carry on to the next page - boy have you got stamina